MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHURCH ON TUESDAY, 20 May 2008 AT 7.30 PM

 

PRESENT: Cllr M Bates (Chairman),

Cllr B Hawkins,

Cllr D Roberts,

Cllr D Woods,

Cllr P Cook,

Cllr A Eades,

Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

1.

APOLOGIES – Apologies were received from Cllr W Kohler, Cllr P Flynn, Cllr P Mullock and Cllr T Stone

Actions

2.

Cllr Bates stood down and Cllr Hawkins took over as Chairman.

ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN

Nominations were invited for the post of Chairman.

Cllr Roberts proposed Cllr Bates and this was seconded by Cllr Woods.

Cllr Bates was duly elected to the post of Chairman.

Cllr Bates signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office in the presence of the Proper Officer. The meeting continued under the Chairmanship of Cllr Bates.

ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN

Cllr Hawkins was nominated by Cllr Roberts and seconded by Cllr Eades.

Cllr Hawkins was duly elected to the post of Vice Chairman.

ELECTION OF COMMITTEES/REPRESENTATIVES

Cllr Bates suggested that existing committees be retained and the committee chairman elected at the first appropriate meeting.

Planning Committee: Cllrs Roberts, Flynn, Woods, Eades, Kohler, and Mullock

Finance & General Purposes: Cllrs Woods, Roberts, Flynn, Kohler and Cook.

The Chairman and Vice-Chairman can attend all committee meetings as necessary.

Officers and Representatives of the Parish Council:

Cllr Kohler will continue as Tree Officer.

Cllr Hawkins will continue as Duxford Liaison

Cllr Bates will continue as CALC representative.

Cllr Bates will take on the role of Village Hall Representative.

Village Hall Working Group and Low Cost Housing Working Group will continue as last year.

All Councillors present signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office in the presence of the Proper Officer.

 

3.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – There were no declarations of interest in agenda items.

 

4.

MINUTES OF MEETING OF 15 April 2008

The minutes were agreed and signed as a true record.

 

5.

MATTERS ARISING

 
 

Bus Shelter

Cllr Roberts will visit Tony Deanes regarding a quotation for the bus shelter.

Butts Industrial Estate.

There had been damage to one of the units on the site.

Jackson’s Way

Heavy goods traffic appears to be damaging the road surface.

Round Moat

Mr A Jackson advised he had found a local contractor to carry out tree work.

Mr Kenney of English Heritage is away for a month.

Butts ‘No Access’ Sign

Tim Stone will be chased regarding a decision on shared payment of this proposed sign.

 

Cllr Roberts

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

6.

COUNTY COUNCIL AFFAIRS

 
 

The following report was received from Cllr Stone:

Long Term Transport Strategy and Transport Innovation Fund

The public and stakeholder consultation into the Council’s proposals for tackling congestion is now complete.

The results of the consultation were presented at a briefing event on 6th May. Over 100 key stakeholders attended including county and district councillors, local businesses and interest groups.

It is disappointing that the County’s consultation was only about congestion and not about pollution and environmental degradation.

Naturally enough most people didn’t want to pay a congestion charge but a majority was in favour of it if public transport was made more convenient and cheaper.

The County is now going away and thinking what to do next. In my opinion there is no viable

plan B. I can understand that the Conservative majority doesn’t want to be in the middle of a contentious scheme at the County Council election next year – particularly as their group is split on the subject. Perhaps they just need to get the politics out of the issue by engaging positively with the Liberal Democrat opposition.

Hanley Grange. The County’s role

I quote from the County’s own internal publication:

Cambridgeshire is very supportive of the growth agenda and has embarked on an ambitious programme of delivering new sustainable communities within the Cambridge Sub-Region. Not the least of these is Northstowe, cited by the Government as a "prototype" eco-town.

"The objection to any further eco-town, which CLG is well aware, is based on three key factors:

  • building another town in the sub region would completely disrupt the planned programme of delivery already in place. We do not have the resources to take it forward, there is unlikely to be a market for the additional scale of development envisaged and it could harm the prospects of the existing proposals in the area. Our local delivery vehicle, Cambridgeshire Horizons, has also issued a very strong message to this effect.
  • secondly we believe any major developments of this nature should be brought forward through the review of the Regional Spatial Strategy, which is to begin very shortly. This would give full opportunity for democratic input and public comment. It would also enable an assessment of whether an eco-town could have a useful role to play in the overall strategy for the area.
  • finally we are concerned that eco-towns, unless very carefully located, will not have a sufficient employment base to be sustainable and will generate long-distance commuting. This is certainly the risk with Hanley Grange which could become a dormitory for Stansted and London. There are other more site specific issues as well, including its location on an aquifer.

Officer representatives from all Cambridgeshire Councils and Cambridgeshire Horizons are all agreed that the proposal was a major threat to the area for reasons we have already rehearsed, and that we needed a joined up campaign to ensure it does not reach the Government's final ten.

Four broad strands of action were agreed:

  • responding robustly to the consultation with joint work on the evidence base
  • exploring legal fault lines in the eco-town process
  • lobbying government through all appropriate channels
  • letting members, the public and media know what is happening and how to engage most effectively

There is to be a co-ordinated communications campaign to underpin these arrangements and an early start has been agreed.

The County’s role is communicating:

  • what the government's consultation says
  • that all authorities and Horizons are working together
  • what our concerns are
  • making sure local people are well informed

The County is clear that opposition is not based on "nimbyism" but on the threat to the delivery programme in the Cambridge Sub-Region and more widely throughout Cambridgeshire."

I put a motion last week to full council which was anti Hanley Grange. It received unanimous support from Councillors of all three parties.

The County’s leaflet, which you may well have received, encourages people to write to the Department for Communities and Local Government to voice their concerns.

I have sent information about meetings of the Parish Council Joint Action Group to Fowlmere but as far as I am aware there has been no representation at meetings since 7th May. The Group is now moving strongly, a leaflet and posters are to be distributed and a good number of parish councils have given Section 137 money to the fighting fund. Most have contributed £500 but two (Thriplow and Great Abington) have given £250.

Please let me know if Fowlmere would like to be part of the campaign.

The County’s website features Hanley Grange on the front page and gives links to the No 10 Downing Street petition which I have set up. If you have not signed in already please do so now. There are currently just over 300 signatures on it. It is at http://petitions/pm.gov.uk/stophanleygrange/

 

7.

HANLEY GRANGE

 
 

Cllrs Eades and Roberts had attended a recent meeting.

County and City Councils plus Cambridgeshire Horizons are all against the proposal.

Fowlmere felt that they could not commit to a campaign payment of £250 but would provide help in the form of distributing leaflets, etc.

Cllr T Stone will be contacted for a copy of the County brochure.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

8.

PLANNING

 

8/A

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH on TUESDAY 22 APRIL 2008 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts, Cllr D Woods, Cllr A Eades, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

APOLOGIES: Apologies received from Cllr M Bates, Cllr P Flynn

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/0414/08/F – Land R/O Thriplow Road Fowlmere – Mr & Mrs N Rushton, BD & KM Wallace, DA Flack, PA Rogers, Mr I & Mrs S Wilson, Miss A Twigg, Mr P & Mrs J Yaxley, R Holway

The meeting agreed that any permission should be on condition that the area only being for garden use with no permanent structures.

3. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES – There were no other matters.

The meeting closed at 7.40pm

 

8/B

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH on TUESDAY 13 May 2008 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts Chairman, Planning Committee, Cllr M Bates Chairman, Parish

Council, Cllr P Flynn, Cllr B Hawkins, Cllr W Kohler

APOLOGIES: Cllr D Woods, Cllr A Eades

IN ATTENDANCE: One resident from the village

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/0663/08/F – Extensions, 2 New Farm Close – Mr & Mrs J Tuck

3. Amendment to this application

The meeting had no objection to this application as it is a reasonabvle extension that does not have any adverse affect on neighbours.

4. Tree Applications

68 Chapel Lane – Mr M Stevens

The meeting had no objections to this application and will abide by the decision of SCDC Tree Officer.

5. Other Matters

Land R/O Thriplow Road, Fowlmere

The application for change of use of agricultural land has been refused.

Variation of Conditions 6 & 7 – Welding Alloys Limited

This application has been refused by SCDC

Extensions, 32 Chapel Lane

The application has been refused by SCDC

Although not on the agenda the Parish Council Chairman agreed to discuss the following item

Hanley Grange

Cllrs Roberts and Eades had attended a meeting at Whittlesford where a decision was made to form a committee of interested parties, each party contributing £250 to the campaign funds. Representative names had been requested by the end of the current week.

Cllr Roberts suggested that Fowlmere should help by distributing leaflets rather than being part of the committee – this was agreed unanimously.

An email will be sent to Tim Stone advising him of this decision and confirming support in principle from the Parish Council. People will be encouraged to sign the petition on the website.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 7.45 pm.

 

9.

BURIAL BOARD – There was nothing to report.

 

10.

TREES, GRASS AND HEDGES – There was nothing to report.

 

11.

FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES – There was nothing to report.

 
 

Cheques signed at the current meeting

Mrs J Fletcher April salary £ 404.64

Mrs J Fletcher Backdated salary increase £ 115.20

PlaySafety Limited RoSPA report £ 144.53

Hardy Landscapes Grass cutting £1165.60

CALC Affiliation Fees £ 317.31

Allianz Insurance plc Insurance premium £ 969.58

 

12.

CORRESPONDENCE

 
 

Mr R Purath – Speeding through the Village

Will advise him that we have no further news from the Police regarding speed checks.

The meeting was advised that the 20 mph signs appear to be flashing at wrong intervals. – Cllr Stone will be advised.

NHS Anglia Support Partnership – Rural Dispensing Regulations

Cllr Bates will complete and return the questionnaire.

SCDC – South Cambs. Housing Futures

Cllr Bates will respond.

 

Clerk

Clerk

 

Cllr Bates

 

 

Cllr Bates

13.

OTHER MATTERS

Play Equipment

The annual inspection report has been received from RoSPA advising that some items require attention. Cllr Bates will summarise the report and produce a list of required minor work.

Cassander Close

An email will be sent to Taylor Vinters for an update

Shepreth Road/A10 Crossing

Tim Stone will be asked if improvements are being considered.

Further proposed exclusion site – Affordable Housing

Mr Sugden had requested support from the PC for a second development site. (Email will be circulated to all Councillors).

Cllr Roberts declared a personal but non-prejudicial interest.

Cllr Roberts did not feel there is a demand for a further 23 affordable houses in the village.

The meeting agreed to wait until the first development has been completed and filled.

Circle Anglia will be advised that the PC is not prepared at this time to support further reach of the village envelope.

Footpath opposite St. Mary’s Close leading to Chapel Lane

Cllr Hawkins reported that a small tree had fallen across part of this footpath. Cllr Roberts will speak to SCDC.

 

 

 

 

Cllr Bates

 

Clerk

 

Clerk

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

Cllr Roberts

14.

CONFIRM DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS

PC Meeting Tuesday, 17th June 2008

Finance Meeting Tuesday, 8th July 2008

PC Meeting Tuesday, 15th July 2008

Apologies for non-attendance at the 17th June meeting were given by Cllrs Roberts, Cook and Hawkins.

The Clerk gave apologies for the 15th July meeting. (Cllr Roberts will take minutes).

 
 

 

The meeting closed at 8.20 pm

 
 

 

Clerk to the Parish Council: Julie Fletcher, 21 Ryecroft Lane, Fowlmere, SG8 7TT