MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHURCH ON TUESDAY, 18 March 2008 AT 7.30 PM

 

PRESENT: Cllr M Bates (Chairman), Cllr B Hawkins, Cllr D Roberts Cllr D Woods, Cllr P Flynn,

Cllr W Kohler, Cllr P Cook, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

IN ATTENDANCE: Cllr T Stone

Four residents

Two representatives from Circle Anglia

 

1.

APOLOGIES – Apologies were received from Cllr A Eades and Cllr P Mullock

Actions

2.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Cllr Roberts clarified the issues regarding Affordable Housing (Item 7) as follows:

  • The proposal for affordable housing is not a PC application but a Housing Association application.
  • The PC is included in the initial discussions according to the procedure of the District Council.
  • For schemes outside the village envelope to go forward the PC has to consider if there are any reasons why this should not happen.
  • The PC is interested in principle only in the proposed site.
  • Should a planning application be submitted in the future the PC would then look at that application afresh.
  • Access is not an issue with the current proposed site as it was with previous proposals.

Cllr Roberts stated that should an application later be placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

 

3

MINUTES OF MEETING OF 19th February 2008

Cllr Woods pointed out that the Clerk’s salary at Item 10 should be for January 2008 and not December 2007. With this amendment the minutes were agreed and signed as a true record.

 

4.

MATTERS ARISING

 
 

Welding Alloys

DR reported that two Officers from SCDC have visited the site. Machinery was switched on and tested for noise in the surrounding external area. The noise did not impact on the environment.

In any approval an appropriate paragraph will be included to ensure that only the machines tested will be switched on as indicated by the applicants and tested by SCDC.

Friendship Club

DW advised that the Police had visited the Club and provided advice to those present.

Jackson’s Way

Cllr Stone was asked to investigate if CCC Highways could inspect and maintain this road more often.

CCC

Cllr Stone requested Item 7(b), Cassander Close, be moved forward on the agenda. The meeting agreed.

 

 

6.

COUNTY COUNCIL AFFAIRS

 

Cllr Stone gave the following report:

Joint Audit and Inspection Letter

The County’s External Auditor and the Audit Commission have passed judgement on the County’s 2007 results. The External Auditor’s Overall Use of Resources score, which measures financial competence and value for money has now improved to level four – the highest score. The Audit Commission’s report underlines some of the important tasks for the future, amongst which are developing a shared vision for the future of Cambridgeshire and all its communities as well as working better in partnership. The Audit Commission’s judgement of the County gives it a score of two, which is "at only minimum requirements – adequate performance." Not good and the County is seriously falling behind other shire counties in several respects.

EcoTowns

A new threat posed by the revival of the Hanley Grange project in the guise of an ecotown. Hanley Grange is an area bounded by the A11, A505 and A1301 opposite the BP service Station at the Sawston roundabout and the Genome Campus. While it may seem a long way from Fowlmere, an extra 6000 houses would be much larger than Melbourn and would have a devastating effect of the existing infrastructure. Along with most other people and both the County and the District I am entirely opposed to the project, which has become a sneaky way of reintroducing a previously failed attempt to gain support for development.

If you would like to join in the protest I can give you the name of the civil servant to write to. You could also try Andrew Lansley.

Aircraft stacking

The proposals to change the stacking patterns for Stansted and Luton are now out for consultation.

The package can be found on www.nats.co.uk/TCNconsultation. Using the "How this affects you" link on the right side of the page you just enter your postcode and you can see what the existing and future proposed arrangements are. I believe you will agree with me that the proposal is advantageous for us. Certainly that is the view of the Imperial War Museum.

Cassander Close

We are making some progress with the road adoption issues at Cassander Close but it does seem to be taking far too long. I am pressing for a speedy resolution. As I reported last month, the County has now made concessions on the education payment.

7/B

Cassander Close

DW reported on the meeting with Taylor Vinters, Solicitors, and stated that solicitors require confirmation that SCDC does not need to pay the £15,000.

DR added that the PC could follow the line taken by CCC and demand payment from the residents. The PC felt that this is not a moral stance and would therefore not wish to pursue this course of action.

TS stated that because ownership of the road is in doubt, CCC could demand that the road be brought up to an adoptable standard. CCC would expect the residents to pay for this work.

TS left the meeting at this point.

DW stated that solicitor’s fees would be in the region of £500/£750 and proposed that the PC should proceed with this matter. DR seconded the proposal and the meeting agreed unanimously.

Cassander Close residents would be advised that the PC has taken legal advice and that the aim is to draw up a legal agreement.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

8.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING

 
 

MB welcomed Mike Sugden of Circle Anglia and Tony Welland, Architect. The draft design drawings were circulated to the PC and residents present. The main issues mentioned were:

  • TW confirmed that there would be no parking along Cambridge Road and that 20 parking spaces have been incorporated into the design.
  • DR clarified that all houses were 2 or 3 bedrooms.
  • TW confirmed that it was possible the design could change.
  • Low level lighting in the parking area would be installed.
  • Initially there would be a 50/50 split between rented and part-purchase. Once the scheme was in place an application for funding would be made to bring this proportion to 75/25.
  • Circle Anglia is looking to commence as soon as possible; on site August/September 2008.
  • This will be an exception site for Fowlmere residents and priority will be given to Fowlmere people who are now on the SCDC list.
  • Circle Anglia’s offer for the land has been accepted.

DR advised that a planning application from Circle Anglia would only be made once the PC is happy with the design.

The discussion was opened to the public

Q. Would Fowlmere people be given first chance

A. Yes. They must make sure they are on the SCDC list.

Discussion was closed to the public.

DR asked when letting would commence if work started in the Autumn – MS answered as soon as possible.

DR proposed that the Housing Association should start to progress the scheme. This was seconded by PF and the meeting agreed.

The visitors left the meeting at this point.

 

7.

PLANNING

 

7/A

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH on TUESDAY 4 March 2008 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts, Cllr D Woods, Cllr B Hawkins, Cllr W Kohler, Cllr A Eades, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

Apologies were received from Cllr M Bates and Cllr P Flynn

1. Declarations of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/0221/08/F – Extension, Stoneyfield, High Street – Mr & Mrs Vinton

The meeting had no objection to this application as the extension is small and will not overlook neighbours.

3. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

Correspondence

A copy of a letter from Acorus addressed to SCDC had been received by the Parish Council. This was in reply to the PC’s request for information on chemical storage and disposal in connection with Application S/2268/07/FChange of use of building to B1 industrial & of klargester, Deans Farm, Shepreth Road – A P Deans

Cllrs Roberts and Woods declared a personal and prejudicial interest in this application and left the room, taking no part in the discussion.

Following discussion the meeting had no objection to the application providing works are strictly limited to the proposals as set out.

Should there be a future proposal for development or change the Parish Council wished to be informed and be given the opportunity to comment. Waste collection must be carried out by a recognised agency.

Cllrs Roberts and Woods rejoined the meeting.

The meeting closed at 7.45pm

 

9.

BURIAL BOARD

 
 

Chapel

DW had met a Surveyor on site and his report would be circulated to all Councillors. The Surveyor reported that there was no danger of the chapel collapsing should the back door be opened. The drain cover may need to be replaced and a better sill at floor level is required.

Memorial Stone

An application had been received for the erection of a memorial stone to the late Henry James Willers. The design was approved.

 

 

 

The meeting was opened to the public.

Mr Townend stated that he was trying to establish ownership of the trees along the Cambridge Road boundary of his property.

The PC will write to Councillor Tim Stone requesting assistance with this matter.

The meeting was closed to the public.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

10.

TREES, GRASS AND HEDGES

 
 

MB and WK had met Mr D Kenney from English Heritage, Mr A Jackson and Mr S McCreary (residents) to discuss the trimming of trees abounding the Round Moat.

WK advised that English Heritage may be able to assist with funding to carry out clearance and Health & Safety work in the Round Moat. Mr Kenney has offered to attend a PC meeting. This was welcomed by all present.

Correspondence had been received regarding the SCDC Tree Warden scheme. This was passed to WK.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

11.

FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES

 
 

‘No Access’ sign at The Butts

The Clerk had met CCC at the corner of Butts Lane to discuss the need for a ‘No Access’ sign.

CCC provided a design for this sign and advised that the cost of manufacture and erection by CCC would be in the region of £200. CCC does not have funds available so if the PC wished to proceed, the cost would have to be met from PC funds.

The meeting agreed that the PC could provide half the cost and TS will be approached with a proposal that CCC provide the remainder.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

Cheques signed at the current meeting

Mrs J Fletcher February salary £ 395.04

SCDC Cemetery Rates £ 47.44

Gardencare Trees, cemetery/Jackson’s Way £ 110.00

McAfee Computer virus protection £ 39.99

 

12.

CORRESPONDENCE

Cornhill Insurance

Request for second quote regarding bus shelter claim.

MB will try to find a company for a further quotation.

S. Cambs Magazine

Notification of an error regarding refuse collections over Easter. Clerk had posted notices.

Traffic Safety Mirror

The PC had been asked if they would have any objection to the erection of a traffic safety mirror in the High Street.

Clerk had contacted CCC Highways Department who advised that the erection of mirrors was normally refused. The email had been passed to CCC Traffic Department for comment.

 

 

 

Cllr Bates

13.

OTHER MATTERS

 
 
  • PF mentioned that the free-standing signs outside the Queens Head were a hazard. The meeting agreed that CCC Highways Department be contacted.
  • DW suggested that CALC be contacted for a copy of the pay scale for Clerk’s as the 2007 pay rise was outstanding.

 

Clerk

Clerk

14.

CONFIRM DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS

Finance Meeting Tuesday, 15th April 2008

PC Meeting Tuesday, 15th April 2008

Annual Parish Meeting Tuesday, 6th May 2008

PC Annual Meeting Tuesday, 20th May 2008

 
 

 

The meeting closed at 8.50 pm

 
 

 

Clerk to the Parish Council: Julie Fletcher, 21 Ryecroft Lane, Fowlmere, SG8 7TT