MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHURCH ON TUESDAY, 19 February 2008 AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT: Cllr M Bates (Chairman), Cllr B Hawkins, Cllr D Roberts Cllr D Woods, Cllr P Flynn,

Cllr W Kohler, Cllr P Cook, Cllr A Eades, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

IN ATTENDANCE: Cllr T Stone

One resident

 

1.

APOLOGIES – There were no apologies

Actions

2.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST - There were no declarations of interest in agenda items

 

3

MINUTES OF MEETING OF 15th January 2008 - were agreed and signed as a true record

 

4.

MATTERS ARISING

 
 

Cassanders Close

Cllrs Roberts and Woods will meet a Solicitor from Taylor Vinters at 10.00 am on Wednesday 27th February to discuss the Parish Council’s position in this matter.

Affordable Housing

An email had been received from Chartism suggesting a site for affordable housing that they would like to develop. Cllr Roberts reiterated the rules regarding affordable housing developments.

A reply will be sent to Chartism advising that this particular site has been rejected on two previous occasions and is still not considered a suitable location. Chartism will be advised that the Parish Council is in discussion with another company and has indicated support ‘in principle’. This alternative site will accommodate the present needs of the village. As the Chartism proposal is far larger than required, the PC felt that this would draw negative responses from residents.

Circle Anglia will attend the March PC meeting to provide an update on their proposal.

Street Sign

MB has informed SCDC that the street sign for Long Close at the Chapel Lane end has disappeared. SCDC are arranging to replace the sign.

Welding Alloys

DR has requested an update from SCDC Planners who will reply as soon as possible.

Dovehouse Close grass

SCDC has visited site and it appears that the problem of parking on the grass has been resolved.

Village Hall

Now that the January PC minutes have been agreed and signed MB will contact the Village Hall committee regarding funding support.

Cllrs Roberts/

Woods

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Bates

6.

COUNTY COUNCIL AFFAIRS

 
 

Cllr Tim Stone provided the following report:

Budget

The County’s budget was approved today by Full Council. Both the administration’s budget and the Liberal Democrat alternative budgets are passed before Scrutiny to see whether they make financial sense and whether the spending priorities reflect the stated political ones. As usual the Conservative budget was passed with all the Liberal Democrat amendments being defeated. The intended Council Tax increase will therefore be 5%. The Council will be increasing its contingency reserves "just in case" and many services will be cut.

Joint Audit and Inspection Letter

The County’s External Auditor and the Audit Commission have passed judgement on the County’s 2007 results. The External Auditor’s Overall Use of Resources score, which measures financial competence and value for money has now improved to level four – the highest score. The Audit Commission’s report underlines some of the important tasks for the future, amongst which are developing a shared vision for the future of Cambridgeshire and all its communities as well as working better in partnership. The Audit Commission’s judgement of the County gives it a score of two, which is "at only minimum requirements – adequate performance." Not good and the County is seriously falling behind other shire counties in several respects.

Congestion Charge

Cambridgeshire’s Transport Innovation Fund bid has now attracted a further £1m in government funding to take the proposals to the next stage. This is well short of the amount the County says is needed so it will be interesting to see what happens next.

National Award for Climate Change

The County and its partner Donarbon have just won an award from the Royal Town Planning Institute on joint work for the Mechanical and Biological Waste plant and other work at Waterbeach. The plant will drastically cut the amount of waste going to landfill and the accompanying release of methane.

The Private Finance Initiative contract itself has still to be signed and will be for a 25-year period.

Cassander Close

I have been in close contact with the residents group at Cassander Close. So far we have achieved agreement that the Section 106 Education Supplement will be split per household and the County has written to confirm the figures due. The next step is to have County adopt the Close under Sections 228 and 205 of the Highways Act. In principle the County will be prepared to do that but all the costs of finishing off the Close to adoptable standards will have to be borne by the residents. The County’s thoughts are that the residents should be able to claim on their solicitors for missing vital information – certainly with regard to the Section 106 Agreement and probably with regard to the adoption of the road as well.

Cllr Roberts enquired about the responsibility of the Housing Association – Cllr Stone replied that they are not being required to share in the education supplement.

Flint Cross

The County has allocated £100,000 out of its 2008/09 budget to install lighting and a high friction road surface at Flint Cross. This should do something to reduce the number of accidents.

Fly Tipping

You may have seen a Thriplow resident on television complaining that when he took rubbish tipped onto his land to the Thriplow tip he was refused permission to dump it there. I have taken the matter up and the County has now asked operators of Recycling Centres, as they are now called, to use discretion when accepting this kind of waste. The County doesn’t want that to get too much publicity and I am trying to get a more formal scheme set up. It is not helped by the fact that the District Council is responsible for the collection of waste and the County for its disposal.

Cllr Stone left the meeting at this point.

 

 

 

 

TS

7.

PLANNING

 
 

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH on TUESDAY 12 February 2008 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts, Cllr D Woods, Cllr M Bates, Cllr A Eades, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

APOLOGIES: Apologies received from Cllr P Flynn

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. Amendment to application S/2268/07/FChange of use of building to B1 industrial & of klargester, Deans Farm, Shepreth Road – A P Deans

Cllrs Roberts and Woods declared a personal and prejudicial interest in this application and prepared to leave the room.

Cllr Bates proposed that as the information requested on 18 December 2007 was still awaited, no discussion should take place at this time. The meeting agreed.

3. S/0124/07/F – Chimney (retrospective application). Unit 3 Lynch Villa, Lynch Lane – Landmark Real Estate

The meeting had no objection to this application as the chimney is only being moved a few yards from the original position. This change will have no affect on the style of the house, nor impact on neighbours.

4. S/0120/08/F – Extensions and alterations, 26 Chapel Lane – Mr & Mrs W Kohler

As Mr Kohler is a member of the Parish Council all members present declared an interest. The matter was not discussed and the committee is happy to leave the final decision to SCDC Officers.

5. Tree Applications

Welding Alloys

The Parish Council has no objection to this application and is happy to abide by the decision of SCDC Tree Officer.

Old Manse, High Street

The Parish Council has no objection to this application and is happy to abide by the decision of SCDC Tree Officer.

7. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

  • Permission has been granted for extensions to Field Cottage, Chrishall Grange Road
  • Planning application for Signs at Swan House, High Street has been withdrawn.
  • An email has been received from the Residents’ Association at Cassanders Close requesting confirmation that the PC is in agreement with the proposal that the Residents take over the management of the open spaces.

    Two Councillors will discuss with a solicitor the PC’s position regarding this action. The Residents will be advised that the PC agrees ‘in principle’.

The meeting closed at 7.45pm

 

8.

BURIAL BOARD

 
 

Chapel

Cllr Woods advised that the contractor approached to repair the crack in the chapel wall is unwilling to open the door in case the wall should collapse. As the grant application has to be submitted by the end of March, DR will urgently investigate the costs of a structural engineer.

Avenue of Trees

Cllr Kohler advised that Chris Wall has indicated he would trim the avenue of trees on an annual basis for the sum of £20 per year. The meeting agreed that this should be carried out.

 

 

Cllr Roberts

 

 

 

Cllr Kohler

 

The meeting was opened to the public.

The one resident present indicated he was observing and had nothing to say.

The meeting was closed to the public.

 

9.

TREES, GRASS AND HEDGES

 
 

Cllr Kohler has begun inspecting trees in the village and minor work will be carried out by Chris Wall, major work by Care for Trees.

It was reported that one sapling on the Butts has been damaged, possibly by mowers. WK will speak to Chris Wall about this.

A copy of a map showing trees with a preservation order was circulated to all present.

 

 

 

Cllr Kohler

 

10.

FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES

 
 

Cheques signed at the current meeting

Mrs J Fletcher January salary £ 395.04

Mrs J Fletcher Petty cash £ 100.00

St. Mary’s Church Room Hire to Oct 2007 £ 120.00

 

11.

CORRESPONDENCE

Mr Harris re Fair

The meeting agreed that the Fair could use the Butts from 11th-18th May. Mr Harris has agreed to cross onto the Butts at the top of the lay-by opposite the school. As previously, a fee of £100 will be charged.

 

 

12.

OTHER MATTERS

 
 
  • DR will forward to all Councillors an email regarding post office closures
  • PF remarked on the poor condition of the road between the two turning heads in Jackson’s Way. MB stated that this should be mentioned to Cllr Stone when he next visits a PC meeting.
  • DW reported that members of the Friendship Club would welcome a presentation regarding distraction burglaries. DW will progress this.
  • The visit in March of Mike Sugden from Circle Anglia will be confirmed.
  • Residents’ Association in Cassander Close will be updated on the meeting of DW and DR with solicitors.

Cllr Roberts

Cllr Bates

Cllr Woods

Clerk

Clerk

14.

CONFIRM DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS

PC Meeting Tuesday, 18th March 2008

Finance Meeting Tuesday, 15th April 2008

PC Meeting Tuesday, 15th April 2008

 
 

 

The meeting closed at 8.20 pm

 
 

 

Clerk to the Parish Council: Julie Fletcher, 21 Ryecroft Lane, Fowlmere, SG8 7TT