MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

ON TUESDAY, 15 MAY 2007 AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT: Cllr M Bates (Chairman)

Cllr B Hawkins

Cllr D Woods

Cllr P Mullock

Cllr P Flynn

Cllr W Kohler

Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

IN ATTENDANCE: Cllr T Stone

 

1.

APOLOGIES – Apologies were received from Cllr D Roberts

Actions

 

Cllr Bates stood down and Cllr Hawkins took over as Chairman.

 

2.

ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN

 

Nominations were invited for the post of Chairman.

Cllr Flynn nominated Cllr Bates and this was seconded by Cllr Mullock.

Cllr Bates was duly elected to the post of Chairman.

Cllr Bates signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office in the presence of the Proper Officer. The meeting continued under the chairmanship of Cllr Bates.

 

ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN

 

 

Cllr Hawkins was nominated by Cllr Woods and seconded by Cllr Flynn. Cllr Hawkins was duly elected to the post of Vice Chairman.

 

 

ELECTION OF COMMITTEES/REPRESENTATIVES

 

Cllr Bates suggested that existing committees be retained and the committee chairman elected at the first appropriate meeting.

Planning Committee: Cllrs Roberts, Flynn, Woods, Mullock, and Kohler

Finance & General Purposes: Cllrs Roberts, Woods, Flynn and Kohler.

The Chairman and Vice-Chairman can attend all committee meetings as necessary.

Officers and Representatives of the Parish Council:

Cllr Woods proposed that Cllr Kohler be elected Tree Officer. This was seconded by Cllr Bates and agreed unanimously by the meeting.

The position of Round Moat Liaison is no longer required but Cllr Bates and Cllr Kohler will deal with any matters that arise in the future.

Cllr Mullock will continue as Duxford Liaison but relinquished his position as CALC representative. CALC Representative will now be Cllr Bates.

Cllr Hawkins will continue as Village Hall Representative.

Village Hall Working Group and Low Cost Housing Working Group will continue as last year.

All Councillors present signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office in the presence of the Proper Officer.

 

 

 

3.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST - There were no declarations of interest in agenda items

 

4.

MATTERS ARISING

 
 

Draft Housing Policy

Cllr Bates has read the document and has yet to respond.

Village Hall

The requested Village Hall accounts have been received but not the accounts for the Social Club. The Clerk will request these again.

The accompanying letter from the Village Hall stated that Cllrs Bates and Hawkins had previously received copies of the accounts but this could not be recalled.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

5.

COUNTY COUNCIL AFFAIRS

 
 

A505

As well as rumbling on about the increasing congestion on the A505 between Junction 10 of the M11 and the Sawston roundabout, Cllr Stone had been making noises about the number of accidents. Flint Cross seems to have more than its fair share. County had been asked to investigate and following report had been received:

This section of the A505 stretches for about 7.8miles.The accidents have been assessed over a five year period from Jan 2001 to Jan 200. There have been 90 injury accidents over the 5 years, of which 6 were fatal 15 were serious and 69 were slight. The accidents have ranged between 13 to 17 per year. Looking at the accident statistics the factors (i.e. wet, dark and skidding) are all below the norm level for the South Cambs Rural area.

Flint cross is an accident site, number O151. It has been investigated as part of the safety camera assessment but it did not meet the current criteria. It has also been recently investigated in this team, where street lighting is proposed. Dependent on the cost it might be feasible to construct this in 07/08. If the cost is high it will have to go forward to the Medium Sized Traffic Management and Road Safety Schemes list and be assessed for funding with other schemes.

There is one other site within this length, Site O554 Gravel Pit Hill Thriplow.

Although outside the Duxford Division, and although not in favour of the proliferation of street lights, Cllr Stone will be pushing to get lighting at Flint Cross.

Joint Planning Arrangements - Cambridge Sub-Region

The City, County and South Cambridgeshire Councils with Cambridgeshire Horizons have proposed that they should work together on planning for local growth. Plans are now well advanced for the creation of the joint Development Control committees for Northstowe and the Cambridge fringes that will form the centrepiece of these proposals. It is expected that these committees will start work by September.

The Government is providing an additional £700,000 of funding to support the work on growth in 2007/08 and the expectation is that similar levels of funding will follow in subsequent years.

Although good news in itself, there are a couple of issues here which are worth a little reflection:

  • If we had a unitary authority covering greater Cambridge we wouldn't have to go through all this rigmarole because it would be obvious where decision-making lies.
  • Provision of "good boys and girls" money from central government has its downside. The reward system potentially encourages councils to divert resources to follow the central government's agenda - even if they would not normally act in a particular way. It also messes up budgets which may be set without expectation of reward money.

Gypsy and Traveller Sites

The East of England Regional Assembly (EERA) is preparing a single issue review of the emerging East of England Plan relating to the provision of Gypsy and Traveller caravan sites. EERA is required to identify the number of pitches required for each local planning authority (but not their location) based upon Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessments prepared by local authorities and a strategic view of needs across the region.

An Issues and Options document has been published today for twelve weeks of public consultation. This document seeks views on:

  • the scale of pitch provision appropriate across the region
  • the distribution of provision
  • delivery and implementation issues

The Issues and Options document will be made available on EERA's website: www.eera.gov.uk

Within Cambridgeshire a public engagement event will be held on Monday 21st May at the Auditorium, Robinson College, Grange Road, Cambridge, CB3 9AN between 7pm and 9.30pm. This is to raise awareness about the consultation and to give the public an opportunity to ask questions.

Street light outside the Old Manor House

Cllr Stone had received a complaint that the street light by the bus shelter outside The Old Manor House (SC7) is disturbing to people sleeping in bedrooms to the front and right of the house.

The matter has been put to the County's lighting department who say that, budget permitting, it should in principle be possible to fix a shade to prevent the problem. However before taking action they would wish to have confirmation from the parish council that it wishes the County to go ahead. The person to write to is: Chris Sproston, County Lighting Engineer, Box ET 1007, Shire Hall, Cambridge CB3 0AP.

[The meeting agreed that a shield would be preferable but asked that Cllr Stone obtain prices prior to a final decision on this matter.]

No 31 bus

The County has conducted a consultation about re-scheduling the 31 bus. The idea was to connect with the 26 at Hauxton to speed journey times to and from Cambridge. The result is that 5 people would like the timetable to change, 20 are against change and 11 have no opinion.

Cllr Stone has yet to discover why so many people are opposed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Stone

 

Cllr Bates thanked Cllr Stone for his report and then referred to inaccuracies that had been printed in the recent election campaign leaflets distributed by the Liberal Democrat Party. Cllr Bates felt that if members of the Party had attended Fowlmere Parish Council meetings they would have been aware of the extensive work that has been carried out over recent years regarding affordable housing for the village and also been aware of the three recycling bins at the Village Hall.

 

6.

PLANNING

 

6/A

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL, PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD IN DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST MARY’S CHURCH, HIGH STREET on TUESDAY 24 April 2007 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts (Chairman, Planning Committee), Cllr P Flynn, Cllr D Woods,

Cllr W Kohler, Cllr M Bates

APOLOGIES: Apologies received from Cllr B Hawkins

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/0574/07/LBReplacement of metal and corrugated iron veranda with metal and slate The Chestnuts, Long Lane – Mrs G Pledger

The meeting had no objection to this application as the veranda is a replacement and further improvement to the property.

3. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

Lynch Villa

A planning application permission and also withdrawal have been received – Cllr Roberts will clarify this with SCDC.

Permission granted at 18 Rayners Close

Permission granted at Briarwood, High Street

The Swan

There are concerns regarding odours emanating from the Swan which are reaching beyond the Vicarage and also down Long Lane.

SCDC has advised Mr Rahman that a 3-area filtration system for the extraction system is required. Should this filtration not be sufficient then an alternative will have to be sought.

Cllr Bates asked Cllr Roberts to mention to SCDC that there is an illuminated sign in the window. (Action Cllr Roberts).

The meeting closed at 7.40 pm

 

6/B

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHAPEL TUESDAY 15 May 2007 at 7.15pm

PRESENT: Cllr P Flynn, Cllr D Woods, Cllr W Kohler, Cllr M Bates

APOLOGIES: Apologies received from Cllr D Roberts

1. Declaration of interest (if any) - There were no declarations of interest.

2. S/0690/07/FExtension, 5 Pipers Close – M Curuk

The meeting had no objection to this application as it is in keeping with other extensions in the vicinity. Although a close neighbour has no objection, she has expressed concern at the proximity to her oil tank of the proposed extension.

3. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

Permission granted by SCDC - Krisanda, 10 Rectory Lane

Permission granted by SCDC – The Chestnuts, Long Lane

Permission granted by SCDC – 1 East Barn, Chrishall Grange

The meeting closed at 7.30 pm

 

6/C

Matters discussed at the current meeting

Affordable Housing

Letter received from Chartism Housing Association enquiring about available land in Fowlmere. Cllr Roberts had previously stated that no comment should be made by the Parish Council.

Cllr Bates felt that the company should be advised that the PC had already had presentations from two Housing Associations on two separate sites which were not suitable on the grounds of access. Also it should be mentioned that the results of a housing survey are awaited before further action is taken.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

7.

BURIAL BOARD

 
 

Electricity

Cllrs Bates and Kohler had inspected the chapel and Cllr Kohler reported on the options that had been decided:

It was agreed that the following equipment would be cost effective and suitable for a listed building.

Two 3kw ceramic heaters nearest the entrance door

Two 1.5kw ceramic heaters at the far end of the wall

Two lighting tracks mounted with four GU10 light fittings

Including installation the total cost will be £1521.43 plus VAT.

All heaters will be mounted at a high level so as not to mask the heat when people are in the chapel. Ceramic heaters have been chosen as quarts halogen would give out a high level of light. Light fittings are to be mounted on the opposite side of cross timbers so as not to be visible on entry to the chapel.

Work can be started three or four weeks after acceptance of the quotation.

Cllr Woods proposed that the work should proceed. Relevant certificates will be requested and the length of guarantee will be ascertained.

Key

Cllr Bates felt that a spare key would be advisable but investigations had revealed the duplication would be very costly due to the type of key concerned. As a spare key is only necessary while work is being carried out at the chapel, the meeting agreed to monitor accessibility with only two keys and decide later should a third key be necessary.

Bell Tower

Cllr Woods advised that work on the bell tower has been delayed due to the wet weather. The contractor will install a portable toilet for the minimum time possible.

Chapel cleaning

Cllr Bates has arranged the loan of a generator and will undertake cleaning of the chapel.

Extension

Cllr Bates has been contacted by the seller’s agents and will meet them shortly to mark out the boundary.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

8.

PLAY EQUIPMENT

 

 

The annual inspection by RoSPA has been carried out and there are no high risk areas.

The report contained some confusion which will be clarified by the Clerk.

 

Clerk

9.

FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES

 
 

Cllr Woods advised that the Notice of Appointment of Date for the Exercise of Electors’ Rights regarding the 2006-2007 Accounts would be posted on 17th May 2007.

Cllr Woods proposed that the meeting adopt the statement of accounts, this was seconded by Cllr Flynn and agreed unanimously.

It was agreed that the date of the next Finance meeting would be 3rd July 2007.

 

 

9/A

Cheques signed at the meeting

Mrs J Fletcher April salary £ 395.04

Shaw & Sons Register of Burials book £ 190.35

Hewitsons Land purchase legal fees £ 725.45

Playsafety Ltd RoSPA annual inspection £ 144.53

CALC Affiliation fees £ 305.48

Allianz Cornhill Insurance premium £ 927.59

Cambs. Water Cemetery water rates (half year) £ 41.70

Hardy Landscapes Grass cutting £ 1133.87

 

10.

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

Mrs J Adams – request for the tree outside her property to be trimmed. Cllr Kohler will inspect the tree and report back to the June PC meeting.

Mrs Adams also mentioned that the footpath between Jackson’s Way and the High Street was now broken and uneven and she felt this had been overlooked when recent maintenance had been carried out by CCC. Cllr Stone agreed to mention this to the Highways Department.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission – Advised that Private Payne’s memorial stone will be inspected shortly.

BC Group Trust (telephone) – Mr G Blackford had advised that four dead trees in the Round Moat need to be felled and that a further 200 self-sets need removing in the future. Mr Blackford has offered to attend a Parish Council meeting to discuss this work.

Cllr Bates will contact Alun Lucas for an update on the funding application for tree work in the Moat.

Cllr Bates will also contact Mr Blackford and invite him to the June PC meeting.

Prof. C Howe – Thanked Cllr Bates for explaining some of the traffic issues that had occurred in the village and requested results of various surveys that had been carried out.

Cllr Stone will request these results from CCC and pass to the Clerk.

Cllr Kohler

 

Cllr Stone

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Bates

Cllr Bates

 

 

Cllr Stone

11.

OTHER MATTERS

 
 

Cllr Flynn pointed out that the flashing neon sign was still being used by the Indian restaurant in The Swan building. The Clerk will write to the Planning and Environment Officers at SCDC.

Cllr Hawkins mentioned that the extraction system still required attention.

[Post meeting – the neon sign is no longer being used]

 

Clerk

12.

CONFIRM DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS

PC Meeting Tuesday, 19th June 2007

Finance Meeting Tuesday, 3rd July 2007

PC Meeting Tuesday, 17th July 2007

 
 

 

The meeting closed at 8.50 pm

 
 

 

Clerk to the Parish Council: Julie Fletcher, 21 Ryecroft Lane, Fowlmere, SG8 7TT