MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

ON TUESDAY, 17 APRIL 2007 AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT: Cllr M Bates (Chairman)

Cllr D Roberts

Cllr D Woods

Cllr P Mullock

Cllr P Flynn

Cllr W Kohler

Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

IN ATTENDANCE: Cllr T Stone

 

1.

APOLOGIES – Apologies were received from Cllr B Hawkins, Cllr A Lucas

Actions

2.

MINUTES OF MEETING OF 20 March 2007

Page 4‘Item 8/B Planning (Other matters and Updates) - Cllr Roberts pointed out that Ashwell Developments has proposed a plan for 16 dwellings on the site of the Triangle and not submitted a plan.

With the above correction the minutes were approved and signed as a true record.

 

3.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST - There were no declarations of interest in agenda items and Cllr Roberts declared that if a planning application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh..

 

4.

MATTERS ARISING

 
 

Highway matters

With the removal of funds from the CCC budget for discretionary schemes, Fowlmere Finance committee agreed that highway work is a matter for SCDC or CCC and therefore would not wish to take over funding of highway schemes.

The Swan

Cllr Roberts advised that a site visit by SCDC Officers had taken place and a recommendation to accept, provisionally for one year, the Take Away application was agreed and supported by the majority of Officers. Environmental Health Officers are not happy about the existing extraction system and Mr Rahman will deal with this matter. Cllr Roberts has requested that SCDC ensure this work is carried out.

The PC is very pleased with the extensive work that has been carried out to this building.

 

 

5.

COUNTY COUNCIL AFFAIRS

 
 

The tunnel

I have been to see Mr Sheldrick about the tunnel. He seems to be fairly relaxed about matters because he is adequately insured. I have also approached Mr Roweth, the County’s HCV Route Manager about the prospects for a weight restriction. I know he has written to the Parish and it seems that without a radical re-think of policy it is not likely that anything will be done. The trouble with policies are that they are by their very nature ‘one size fits all’, which may not be particularly helpful in individual cases.

Highway matters

You should by now have received an information leaflet about Minor Traffic Management Measures. As I may have told you, I have protested in full Council about the lack of flexibility but to no avail. Until we can get more money into the system we are stuck.

The County regularly gets good reports about the way it spends money and regularly gets criticism every time council tax is raised. Short of a full-scale revision in the way local government is financed we are likely to remain in this kind of bind. The report of the Lyons Inquiry into Local Government, which was published last month, proposes lifting of capping and the option to raise money for local authorities through local business rates. A bit of a damp squib on financing, though the report itself is a good read.

Police

Melbourn should be getting a Neighbourhood Panel later on in the year. Sawston already has one, which works quite well with local targets set by local people. Parish Councils have responded well and attendance at meetings is quite high. The Melbourn Neighbourhood Panel will cover 12 villages or so – including Fowlmere.

The Swan

I was not too happy about the rather brief response to the Swan application from County Highways, particularly in view of the number of objections to the take-away application on grounds of road safety. I have spoken to the officer concerned and I am satisfied that a proper site inspection took place and that the application was thoroughly examined.

Listed Buildings

English Heritage are compiling a photographic record of all listed buildings in Cambridgeshire. I’m not sure if that includes tunnels. Before taking pictures the photographer will introduce him or herself to house owners and will offer the house owner the opportunity to ring English Heritage to verify bona fides.

31 Bus

I have been less than pleased about the delay in getting the new timetable in place for the 31 bus. The latest situation is that the contract has been re-let to Meridian Line. The County is about to go out to all affected parishes for consultation on a revised timetable which will allow passengers from Fowlmere to change at Hauxton on their way to Cambridge. This will remove the need to travel through The Shelfords and Stapleford.

If all goes to plan the new timetable will come into force on 27th May and Meridian Line have agreed to operate the route with a newer vehicle.

 
 

Matters arising from County Council Report

The Swan

Cllr Stone commented that in his view Take-Away facilities appear to work well in places where there is no parking or very little.

Planning applications

In the March PC minutes, page 4, Item 8/A - 23 February planning meeting minutes – Cllr Stone queried the statement that the Parish Council could not discuss an application with the applicant.

Cllr Roberts replied that SCDC has strongly advised that District Councillors should not have discussions with applicants unless a SCDC Officer is present and that Parish Councils are expected to follow the same guidelines.

Duxford Conservation Area

Cllr Roberts reported that the Parish Council has decided that the area is too far from Fowlmere so will not be commenting.

Mill Road Corner

Cllr Mullock mentioned that this corner is still a problem and that the widening promised by CCC has not been carried out. Cllr Stone will raise this matter.

Cllr Stone left the meeting at 8.00 pm

 

6.

TREES, GRASS AND HEDGES

 
 

Ryecroft Lane corner - Cllr Woods advised the tree has been removed.

 

 

8.

PLANNING

 

8/A

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD IN DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH, TUESDAY 3 April 2007 at 7.00pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts (Chairman, Planning Committee), Cllr P Flynn, Cllr D Woods, Cllr W Kohler, Cllr B Hawkins

APOLOGIES: Apologies received from Cllrs M Bates and Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/0416/07/FTimber garden studio – 1 East Barn, Chrishall Grange – M Meeson-Smith

The meeting had no objection to this application as there would be no implication on neighbouring properties.

3. S/0426/07/LBAlterations, replace tiled fire surrounds in sitting room and dining room hearths with timber surrounds – The Chestnuts, Long Lane – Mrs G Pledger

The meeting had no objection to this application as the replacement would be a great internal improvement.

4. Duxford Airfield Conservation Area

The meeting agreed that the area in question is too far from Fowlmere to have an impact on the village.

5. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

Cassanders Close

The problems associated with this development are ongoing.

Low Cost Housing

Results of the survey are awaited.

The meeting closed at 7.15 pm

 

8/B

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE

HELD IN DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH, TUESDAY 24 April 2007, 7.30pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts (Chairman, Planning Committee), Cllr P Flynn, Cllr D Woods, Cllr W Kohler, Cllr M Bates

APOLOGIES: Apologies received from Cllr B Hawkins

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/0574/07/LBReplacement of metal and corrugated iron veranda with metal and slate – The Chestnuts, Long Lane – Mrs G Pledger

The meeting had no objection to this application as the veranda is a replacement and further improvement to the property.

3. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

Lynch Villa

A planning application permission and also withdrawal have been received – Cllr Roberts will clarify this with SCDC. (Action Cllr Roberts)

Permission granted at 18 Rayners Close

Permission granted at Briarwood, High Street

The Swan

There are concerns regarding odours emanating from the Swan which are reaching beyond the Vicarage and also down Long Lane.

SCDC has advised Mr Rahman that a 3-area filtration system for the extraction system is required. Should this filtration not be sufficient then an alternative will have to be sought.

Cllr Bates asked Cllr Roberts to mention to SCDC that there is an illuminated sign in the window. (Action Cllr Roberts)

The meeting closed at 7.40 pm

 

9.

BURIAL BOARD

 
 

Cllr Roberts had been advised that there have been thefts of flowers from the cemetery.

The meeting agreed that a notice should be posted requesting the Clerk be notified should similar incidents occur.

 

Clerk

10.

HCVs THROUGH FOWLMERE

 
 

Reply received from CCC that nothing will be done to restrict the weight of traffic through the village.

The meeting agreed that sight of the basis for the decisions to restrict vehicle weights through Melbourn and other villages would be useful. Cllr Bates will deal with this matter.

 

 

 

Cllr Bates

11.

FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES

 

11/A

Minutes of the meeting of Fowlmere Parish Council - Finance and General Purposes Committee held at the Dorothy Pluck Room, St Mary’s Church, Fowlmere, Tuesday 3 April 2007 at 7-30 p.m.

Present Cllr D Woods (Chairman Finance), Cllr B Hawkins, (PC Vice Chairman), Cllr D Roberts
Cllr P Flynn, Cllr W Kohler, Peter Lake of VHMC

Apologies for Absence: Cllr Michael Bates, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

1 Minutes of the previous meeting
Had already been ratified at the January Parish Council meeting

2 Matters arising

There were no matters arising that had not been covered at previous Parish Council meetings.

3 Precept and Review of Income and Expenditure

Year end final figures had not yet been finalised but as reported at the February Parish Council meeting we were on budget.

4 Cheque Signatories

It was agreed that the list of cheque signatories be updated once all Councillors had been elected. This should be done at the May Annual Parish Council meeting. (Action Clerk)

5 Cemetery

5a. Bellcote – Cllr Woods confirmed that a grant of 25% had been awarded by the Conservation and Design Department at South Cambridgeshire District Council. They had recommended The Organic Building Co as contractor for this work. It was agreed that this work should be carried out as soon as possible and that Cllr Woods will confirm acceptance of the terms to SCDC, confirm to the Organic Building Co. the acceptance of Option 3 of their quotation and also write to L T Services advising them of the above and confirming that we will inform them when work is completed so the exterior decorating can be scheduled. (quote previously agreed)

5b. Two quotes for electrical work in the chapel have now been received. These will be finalised at the next PC meeting and the contractor appointed. (ActionCllr Woods)

6 Village Hall

Mr Lake gave a copy of the VHMC Lottery Fund submission to Cllr Hawkins. Cllr Roberts explained that once the precept has been agreed by SCDC no amendments could be made for that year.

Mr Lake requested a copy of the PC Audited accounts and the Clerk will be asked to supply last year’s audited accounts upon her return from holiday. The PC will request a copy of the VHMC accounts together with a copy of the Social Club accounts.

Mr Lake expressed his disappointment in the Parish Council.

7 Fire Engine Shed - Cllr Woods has confirmed to the contractor that this work can start as soon as possible.

8 Bus Shelter, Pipers Close

It was agreed to ask the Clerk to obtain prices for a replacement bus shelter. The committee also agreed that we should look at a metal structure as the wooden one had been custom built not so long ago. (Action Clerk)

9 Trees and Grass - First grass cut has taken place.

10 Future Projects

Committee discussed proposed projects for the forthcoming year. An update on spend against budget on these projects will be presented at the May PC meeting.

11 Other matters

To be able to answer Councillor Tim Stone’s query, the Clerk had asked whether the precept should be used to fund highway works or not. The committee agreed that it should not. It is the responsibility of SCDC and CC.

12 Date of next meeting to be confirmed after May PC meeting

Meeting closed at 8.30pm

 

11/B

Matters discussed at current meeting

 
 

Cemetery Chapel Electrics

The meeting agreed to accept the quotation from Thompson Electrical.

Cllrs Bates and Kohler will visit the chapel and decide on light and heating positions.

 

Cllr Bates, Cllr Kohler

11/C

Cheques signed at the meeting

Mrs J Fletcher March salary £ 395.04

BT Telephone £ 57.21

Hewitsons Cemetery land purchase £ 3,500.00

Payments Received

SCDC Precept £12,015.00

 

12.

ROUND MOAT – Cllr Lucas sent a report that although he will not be standing as a Parish Councillor at the election he will complete the work on the funding application.

 

Cllr Lucas

13.

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

SCDC

Grounds maintenance contract – copy for DW

Draft housing policy – Cllr Bates will deal with this

 

14.

OTHER MATTERS

 
 

Bus Shelter

Cllr Roberts will ask SCDC if there had been a damage report submitted regarding refuse vehicles

Correspondence from Councillors

Cllr Woods reminded everyone that if they write letters or emails on Council business a copy should be passed to the Clerk.

Fair on The Butts

The meeting agreed that the Fair can book the Butts for the week of 13th May and Mr Elcock will be advised that the top two parking spaces will be kept free for access.

Finance Meeting Dates

Cllr Woods suggested that Finance meeting dates should be fixed at the beginning of the year but arranged individually. The meeting agreed this was sensible.

Annual Village Meeting

Cllr Woods reminded Councillors that reports should be sent to the Clerk as soon as possible.

 

Cllr Roberts

 

All

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

All

15.

CONFIRM DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS

Annual Parish Meeting Tuesday, 8th May 2007

PC Annual Meeting Tuesday, 15th May 2007

PC Meeting Tuesday, 19th June 2007

Finance Meeting t.b.a.

PC Meeting 17th July 2007

 
 

 

The meeting closed at 9.05 pm

 
 

 

Clerk to the Parish Council: Julie Fletcher, 21 Ryecroft Lane, Fowlmere, SG8 7TT