MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

ON TUESDAY, 19 SEPTEMBER 2006 AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT: Cllr M Bates Chairman

Cllr D Roberts

Cllr P Flynn

Cllr A Lucas

Cllr W Kohler

Mrs J Fletcher Clerk

IN ATTENDANCE: Cllr T Stone

 

1.

APOLOGIES – Apologies were received from Cllrs D Woods, B Hawkins and P Mullock

Actions

2.

MINUTES OF MEETING OF 18 JULY 2006

 
 

Cllr Bates read the minutes for the benefit of all present.

Item 11 – Other Matters: Village Hall - ‘Three user groups’ was changed to ‘user groups’.

After this correction the minutes were agreed and signed as a true record.

 

3.

MATTERS ARISING

 
 

Rectory Lane

Cllr Roberts had been in touch with the SCDC Enforcement Officer who has been to site and taken photographs of the road, buildings and open areas. SCDC had again contacted the developer and were informed that tender prices for the road were awaited. The developer will bring soil for the largest open area. Cllr Roberts will keep in touch with SCDC for updates.

All properties have been sold.

Cllr Roberts has heard nothing regarding the three garages that have been built incorrectly.

The hedge that abuts church land is very overgrown. A letter will be sent to Rev. Strong requested this hedge be trimmed.

White lines

Cllr Bates had received a letter from Mr Rowley regarding the width of roads in the village. Cllrs Stone and Lucas left the meeting to measure and compare the roads in question.

Village Map

Cllrs Woods and Roberts are still to visit Harlton.

 

 

 

Cllr Roberts

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

Cllrs Woods and Roberts

4.

There were no declarations of interest in any following items.

 

5.

COUNTY COUNCIL AFFAIRS

 

 

 

Waste and Minerals Plan

The County is in the midst of producing a plan for extracting minerals and dealing with waste up to 2021. There are in fact three plans all being prepared at the same time. The only matter of immediate interest locally is that the Thriplow tip is planned to remain much as it is. The whole plan will go out to consultation for a six-week period in November and December.

Concessionary Fares

You will have seen that free bus fares for the over 60s are to be reinstated in October. There have been mammoth negotiations to secure the outcome. The deal is reliant on getting additional government funding based initially on the numbers of people travelling into, within and out of Cambridge. Numbers will be measured in the last two weeks of October, so please encourage people to use the buses then.

Old bus passes can be renewed at local post offices. In principle the old ones marked HALF FARE will be valid until their normal expiry but it could be advisable to get a new one marked FREE PASS which in principle is valid for the current arrangements until 1st October as well as the new ones applicable after then. It’s all a question of how aware bus drivers are.

Mike Cooper

Mike has now apparently been chosen for a Recognition of Outstanding Customer Service award. Thank you for supporting me in achieving this very positive result. I hope a representative from Fowlmere will be able to attend the presentation at Whittlesford Highways depot at 11a.m. on Thursday 21st September.

Highways Cleaning

Roadside cleaning in South Cambridgeshire is becoming dreadful. I have discovered that from 1991, under The Environmental Protection Act, the District Council had a regular service for mechanical road sweeping. All road channels were swept four times a year. This was initially reduced to cover kerbed roads only and now there is no regular frequency.

The result is that silt and rubbish is washed into gullies, causing blockages and potential flooding. In addition build-up of roadside silt allows weeds to grow, which the County Council finds it difficult to eliminate because permitted weedkillers are of inadequate strength to do the job properly. Eventually the weeds damage road surfaces. I am going on the warpath.

Cllr Stone advised that the High Street road is 505cm wide and Long Lane road is 480cm wide therefore the matter of reinstating the white line in the High Street will be taken back to CCC.

Bus Routes

Cllr Roberts proposed that Cllr Stone should continue to object to the new bus routes. Cllr Stone is fully supported by the meeting. Cllr Lucas thanked Cllr Stone for pursuing this matter. Cllr Stone mentioned that CCC can only request that Whippett alter the timetable, the contract cannot be altered

Cllr Stone left the meeting at 8.48 pm.

 

6.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING

 
 

Cllr Roberts felt that SCDC Planning Department should be asked for the procedures required for new sites and whether Westfield Road site would be acceptable in planning terms, particularly with regard to access.

The meeting agreed that an alternative site should be identified. Cllr Roberts will ask SCDC to re visit the site behind the wall opposite Long Close. This matter will be placed on October agenda.

 

 

 

 

Cllr Roberts

Clerk

7.

PLANNING

 

7/A

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD IN DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH on TUESDAY 1 AUGUST 2006 at 7.30 pm

Present: Cllr D Roberts (Chairman, Planning Committee), Cllr P Flynn, Cllr D Woods, Cllr A Lucas, Cllr W Kohler, Cllr P Mullock, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk).

Apologies were received from Cllr M Bates

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/1309/06/LB– Alterations – Reconstruction of fire damaged property using green oak with lath and plaster, reinstatement of long straw thatched roof and repairs to slate roof - Eaden Cottage, High Street – Mr & Mrs Barnes

The meeting was pleased to see that this important feature in the High Street is being reinstated in almost the exact way as before and unanimously approved the application.

3. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

Rectory Lane Development

Cllr Roberts had contacted SCDC Legal Department and been advised that they have again written to the developer’s agents.

Cllr Roberts visited site and noted that the earth pile has been removed and hand weeding is being carried out.

As yet the wall has not been reinstated.

The meeting closed at 7.45 pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7/B

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH

on TUESDAY 29 AUGUST 2006 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts (Chairman, Planning Committee), Cllr P Flynn, Cllr M Bates, Cllr B Hawkins, Cllr D Woods, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

Apologies were received from Cllr W Kohler and Mr K Barnes an interested neighbour.

IN ATTENDANCE: Three residents

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/1547/06/LB– Removal of 4 stores and replacement by five staff bedrooms with shower rooms and staff sitting room/kitchen. New kitchen stores, bin storage area and covered area with pitched roof. New 2.1m high picket fence inserts – The Chequers Inn, High Street – Beaumont Pubs Limited

The meeting declared a personal but non-prejudicial interest in this application.

Cllr Roberts suggested the meeting visit the site to look at the building from the Chequers grounds and the garden of the immediate neighbour.

Upon return Cllr Roberts read the supporting statements for the benefit of all present.

Following circulation and discussion of plans the meeting was opened to the public and Cllr Roberts advised that any comments should be sent to SCDC.

  • Mr M Vinton stated he had no objection to the improvement of the kitchen although he was concerned at the siting of the extractor unit.
  • Mr Vinton was not happy with proposals for staff accommodation and did not accept that there had been a stable block as suggested. Also previous staff had lived locally and present employees were transient. He felt that it would be totally out of place to have accommodation on the scale suggested.
  • Should permission be granted Mr Vinton wondered if a protection clause could be included stating that the buildings could only be used for staff accommodation and not used as a motel or bed and breakfast.
  • Mr Pyle was in agreement with the previous comments and asked if there would be light infringement for immediate neighbours.
  • Dr Gregory was also in agreement and confirmed he had no objection to sympathetic improvement to the kitchen site but shared concern regarding the extractor system.
  • Dr Gregory stated he had no objection to the upgrading of the current asbestos roof within present dimensions. He contradicted the argument presented regarding staff problems in the village as he believed the present owner had turned down an offer to purchase staff accommodation when purchasing the pub.
  • Dr Gregory would like to see proof of the 1885 planning but added that this matter was not germane to the present argument.
  • Should permission be granted possible disturbance, noise and quality of life would have an impact on the value of neighbouring properties.

Cllr Roberts advised that the committee had to make a decision on planning terms and that neighbours could offer their own comments to SCDC.

Kitchen Area

The meeting had no objection to this section of the application as the new construction will greatly improve an unsightly existing structure. The meeting was concerned about the extractor unit and suggested SCDC Environmental Health Officer be consulted to ensure there are no noise or odour problems for neighbours.

Staff Accommodation

The meeting would in principle support a single-storey extension but feel this application is far too extensive and would ask for this section to be redesigned to be more proportionate and sympathetic to the listed building. Any new design should incorporate evidence of thorough sound-proofing against neighbouring boundaries. The meeting would like to know the exact distance of the gap between the existing fence and the proposed building wall.

3. S/1548/06/F – Extensions, The Chequers Inn, High Street – Beaumont Pubs Limited

Comments regarding application S/1547/06/LB also apply to this application.

4. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

Perks Close

Cllr Roberts had spoken to SCDC Planning Department prior to a delegation meeting on 16 August. The Conservation Officer had advised that the present windows were 1950 style and that what was proposed was more in keeping with the age of the property.

PC Tree Application

The meeting clarified questions to be completed on the application form. The form was signed by Cllr Roberts.

The meeting closed at 8.50 pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7/C

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT DOROTHY PLUCK ROOM, ST. MARY’S CHURCH on TUESDAY 12 SEPTEMBER 2006 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts (Chairman, Planning Committee), Cllr P Flynn, Cllr M Bates, Cllr A Lucas, Cllr P Mullock, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

IN ATTENDANCE: Two residents

Apologies were received from Cllr D Woods.

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/1635/06/F S/1635/06/F – 3 Touring Caravan/Tent Plots, Appleacre Park, London Road – Appleacre Park Ltd.

S/1636/06/F – Erection of new workshop/store, Appleacre Park, London Road – Appleacre Park Ltd

S/1637/06/F – 6 Plots (Caravans), Appleacre Park, London Road – Appleacre Park Ltd

S/1638/06/F – 6 Plots (Caravans), Appleacre Park, London Road – Appleacre Park Ltd

The applications were discussed together.

Cllr Roberts reminded the meeting that the site is outside the village envelope and therefore in open countryside. Cllr Roberts precised the supporting statements for the benefit of all present.

After extensive discussion the following points were stated:

  • The Parish Councillors have signed up to abide by the present planning policies of the local development framework.
  • The site is outside the village envelope
  • There is already approval on the land for a number of permanent plots and this application would double what is already in existence.
  • The increase in plots would change the present character of the site
  • Although it was recognised that comments on the present applications were required, approval is given to land not the applicant, therefore a change of ownership in the future would be of great concern to the village.

Mr Jackson clarified that the present residents are subject to agreements under the 1983 Mobile Home Act and are therefore secure indefinitely. They do not have freehold of the land but own the homes.

All existing residents have been consulted on these applications.

Cllr Roberts will contact SCDC for written clarification on the planning policies to be considered in conjunction with these applications.

The meeting felt that further time for consideration would be desirable therefore it was agreed the meeting would reconvene at 7.00 pm on Tuesday, 19 September. If a decision has not been reached before 7.30 pm (the starting time of the main PC meeting) the planning meeting will continue at the end of the main meeting.

Mr Jackson stated that he understood the Council’s concern regarding policies. He clarified that the applications are mainly to cover the need of affordable homes for retired and disabled people enabling them to live on one level, free up cash in property, and have small manageable garden plots.

Cllr Roberts personally felt that the above reasons were not sufficient or special enough to overturn the planning policies already in place.

Mr Jackson mentioned that a large number of unattractive, antiquated storage buildings would be removed if permissions were granted.

3. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES - There were no other matters discussed at this meeting.

The meeting closed at 8.30 pm

 

7/D

MINUTES OF MEETING OF FOWLMERE PARISH COUNCIL PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD AT SCHOOL ROOM, UNITED REFORMED CHURCH on TUESDAY 19 SEPTEMBER 2006 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Cllr D Roberts (Chairman, Planning Committee), Cllr P Flynn, Cllr M Bates, Cllr A Lucas, Mrs J Fletcher (Clerk)

IN ATTENDANCE: One resident

Apologies were received from Cllr D Woods, Cllr P Mullock and Cllr B Hawkins.

1. Declaration of interest (if any)

Before discussion Cllr Roberts declared that if an application is later placed before South Cambridgeshire District Council she will approach any new information afresh.

2. S/1635/06/F – 3 Touring Caravan/Tent Plots, Appleacre Park, London Road – Appleacre Park Ltd.

S/1636/06/F – Erection of new workshop/store, Appleacre Park, London Road – Appleacre Park Ltd

S/1637/06/F – 6 Plots (Caravans), Appleacre Park, London Road – Appleacre Park Ltd

S/1638/06/F – 6 Plots (Caravans), Appleacre Park, London Road – Appleacre Park Ltd

This discussion is a continuation of the meeting on 12 September 2006.

Cllr Roberts had contacted SCDC who advised they needed to read all previous files to familiarise themselves regarding the situation in planning terms. A second delegation meeting had taken place the main points of which were:

  • The proposal is a departure from the local development plan
  • The proposal is against countryside policies
  • There were strict conditions in place on previous approvals to contain further development of a permanent nature.
  • SCDC are going to recommend refusal as they do not wish to see an expansion of the caravan park.

Cllr Roberts reminded the meeting that the PC has its own independent decision to reach.

Cllr Roberts reminded the meeting that Lanacre has had an application refused for one caravan plot of the same nature.

Cllr Bates mentioned that the supporting paperwork stated the increase in plots is a contribution to the affordable housing problem and mentioned that SCDC do not recognise this fact.

The committee reached the following decisions:

S/1635/06/F – the meeting had no objection to this application as the plots will have no impact outside the Park.

S/1636/06/F – the meeting had no objection to this application as the existing structures are antiquated and unsightly.

S/1637/06/F and S/1638/06/F – The Parish Council has undertaken to support present planning policies and accordingly refuse these applications as the site is outside the village envelope. A further 12 plots will make the area extremely dense and change the present character of the site.

Cllr Lucas stated that the covering documentation mentioned there may be a change in planning policies and the meeting agreed that this will be discussed at the appropriate time should the need arise.

The meeting was opened to the public:

Mr Jackson was disappointed at the PC decision and mentioned that the British Homes and Holiday Parks Association has reported varied interpretations of building in the countryside.

Cllr Roberts advised that should SCDC refuse the application then Mr Jackson could appeal the decision.

3. OTHER MATTERS and UPDATES

Cllr Lucas requested an update on the housing needs survey.

Cllr Roberts replied that SCDC has no funds and therefore a survey would have to be arranged by a Housing Association.

Lynch Villa

Cllr Roberts advised that Lynch Villa has now been purchased.

The meeting closed at 7.20 pm

 

8.

BURIAL BOARD

 
 

Cemetery Extension

Solicitors have advised that approval for the laying of a water pipe across the land should be investigated.

The following Information will be sought:

  • Information regarding pipe requested from the Water Company.
  • Solicitors will be asked for clarification regarding continued use of land

Electricity Costs

EDF Energy will ascertain if a licence is required to excavate land designated for burials – this information is still awaited.

General

A paragraph will be added to letters that the planting of trees or shrubs on burial plots is not permitted.

 

 

 

 

Cllr Bates

Cllr Bates

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

9.

FINANCE

 
 
  • Cllr Hawkins had advised that due to study commitments he would be resigning from the Finance Committee. The meeting agreed that Cllr W Kohler will take his place.
  • The second instalment of the precept has been received.
  • Cllr Woods had advised that a full report and statement will be provided for the October PC Meeting.

 

 

 

 

Cllr Woods

10.

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

Bin in bus shelter – Cllr Roberts will continue to investigate this.

HCV survey – This will be on the October agenda. Cllr Bates will provide an update to Dr Cox

Bus Timetable – Cllr Bates has sent a letter to Mr Davies after first advising Councillors of the contents.

Interment position – A letter had been received expressing concern at the alignment of a burial. Cllr Roberts is willing to visit the cemetery to discuss this concern.

Cllr Roberts

Clerk/Cllr Bates

 

 

Cllr Roberts

11.

OTHER MATTERS

 
 

Cllr Woods had emailed all Councillors expressing concern that in previous meetings some items had not been mentioned under Matters Arising and were not therefore finalised.

The Swan – It was agreed that the PC should actively seek action to reopen The Swan. A letter will be sent to SCDC Conservation Officer mentioning the Grade II listed building is now falling into complete disrepair and should be placed on the ‘Buildings at Risk’ register.

Ryecroft Lane Grass – An area of grass near John’s Close is not being cut. Cllr Bates will speak to Hardy Landscapes.

Round Moat - Cllr Lucas has still to submit a funding application. Alternative suggestions will be

discussed at the October meeting.

Village Historian – Funding is still required

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

Cllr Bates

 

Cllr Lucas

 

Cllr Bates

12.

CONFIRM DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS

Parish Council Tuesday, 17 October 2006

Parish Council Tuesday, 21 November 2006

Parish Council Tuesday, 19 December 2006

Remembrance Sunday service Sunday, 12 November 2006

 
 

The meeting closed at 9.25 pm

 
 

Clerk to the Parish Council: Julie Fletcher, 21 Ryecroft Lane, Fowlmere, SG8 7TT